Thursday, July 28, 2011

33 weeks and 1 day!

The first time I went to the high risk OB, my first question was, "Is the doctor a man?" Then I burst into tears when they confirmed my worst fear. For the first 22 1/2 weeks of this pregnancy I was seen by one of two wonderful, nurturing, caring midwives. My appointments would last for 45 minutes while I expounded on all the misery of "morning" sickness, told them about how my other two children were doing, asked about their families, listened to that sweet heart beat and was generally comforted and supported as we planned and prepared for my all natural home birth.

The prematurity team at the university hospital is basically the polar opposite of what I had planned and wanted for my pregnancy. Giant waiting rooms full of giant pregnant women- myself now resentfully included in the crowd- Sterile exam rooms and a 50-something male doctor.

The good news? I've seen a lot of said doctor by now, and he's grown on me. I might even like him. His students are young, cheerful, usually female, and for the most part, the only people that actually participate in the sticking of things up my whoo-ha.

The news from today's appointment? After next week, (as soon as I hit 34 weeks), I no longer have to take those nasty "stop labor" drugs!! After 34 weeks, if baby is still trying to show up, we let her!! (or him)- totally being surprised this time!! Any guesses what we are having? Because everyone and their mother seems to know FOR SURE that I'm having a boy... or a girl.

1 comment: